Friday, January 19, 2018

Intro to HCCA Internship & Solicitation Intimidation Overcome by Our Strong Community

     It's week one of my internship with the High Country Conservation Advocates (HCCA). A really quick backstory for those of you that don't know HCCA. Crested Butte's mayor, W. Mitchell, 40 years ago and a group of citizens and locals went full force against a mining company that was trying to mine Red Lady (Mt. Emmons) for molybdenum (the steel additive that makes all of our steel recreation toys even lighter and easier for use to use). Really long story short, they fought hard against the mining company and won, keeping Red Lady safe to this day 41 years later. I highly encourage you to read more about mayor Mitchell here http://crestedbuttenews.com/2017/07/profile-the-unsinkable-w-mitchell/ and the whole history of the fight to save Red Lady here https://www.hccacb.org/red-lady-program/red-lady-timeline/ (as well as watch James Cameron's Avatar because mayor mayor Mitchell is who he unofficially based that story off of!).
    I first heard about HCCA when I moved here this past June. I quickly became a member and attended every event that I could. Why? Well in Wisconsin where I had grown up, the only environmental issues our state usually came across were unprotected wetlands, invasive species (carp and zebra mussels are two big ones, and small mines for silica sand (a really fine type of sand that is used by fracking plants to fill in the fissures in the wells used to extract natural gas). The land in Wisconsin is either a forest, wetland/a lake, or a field, typically having only one use. It was to my surprise when I got here, just what effect mining has had, and still has, in regions all around Colorado. I had learned about mountain top mining and other resource extraction tactics in my Environmental Science classes but had never experienced them. I remember my first drive over Monarch pass or past the mine near leadville, the companies having "eaten" half or almost all of the mountain. I couldn't believe it. I never thought someone could just destroy a piece of our natural world and be okay with it. Mining's impact in this state and HCCA's backstory proving just what can happen if you come together pushed me towards joining their organization right away.
    Anyways, everyone at HCCA is in full preparation for their annual Red Lady Salvation Ball. For the past 41 years, they've been holding a huge fundraiser in order to rise funds to continue to keep Red Lady mine-free. The fee of the tickets and the silent auction bring in about $10,000 every year from the citizens of Crested Butte, locals from the valley, the members of HCCA, and the original group that helped to save Red Lady. Since the silent auction brings in a big chunk of the funds, everyone is looking for some really awesome prizes to be able to use.
    Since HCCA is a non-profit organization and will be using the funds to help the work that they do, the best way to get awesome prizes without paying a lot for them or without paying anything at all are by getting donations from businesses. That means that it was my job to solicite donations from businesses too. Now, I'm not a shy person, but I'm definitely not an outgoing person either. This definitely comes into play when I'm talking about money. For example, I hate being a cashier when someone's credit card fails. Even though it's not my fault, I get really nervous when I have to tell someone that it failed and they're going to have to pay with something else. What if I say something in an offensive way? What if they don't have anything else to pay with? What if that makes them nervous too? It's kind of an irrational fear because again, it's not my fault. But you get the point.
    I have been tasked with sending out PSA's and soliciting donations from local businesses in Gunnison this week to start off. And as you may have figured, I was very intimidated to solicit donations. I made a list of businesses in Gunnison I thought would donate awesome prizes on Monday...and then pushed off the whole go-to-the-business-and-ask-for-a-donation process until Friday. Nervously, I walked into my first business on Friday and tried it out. I gave my pitch, asked if they would be interested and to my surprise, they were more than willing to give a donation than I expected! (Now I did mention the tax credit that businesses and people receive when they donate to a non-profit...but I'm going to stick with the idea that my pitch crushed it!) The rest of the businesses on my list reacted the same way and were excited for the challenge of putting together an awesome prize.
   Tax credit or not, I was surprised and appreciative of the way the community was so willing to give in order to support HCCA. I no longer have as much solicitation intimidation as I started with and am excited to see the community turnout at the event!
    Speaking of the event and my task to send out PSA's...

"It’s time to SAVE THE DATE and get your tickets for the 41st Annual Red Lady Salvation Ball featuring the Pimps of Joytime!
 
Get ready to break out your best red dress, duds and dancing shoes to join High Country Conservation Advocates (HCCA) for the 41stAnnual Red Lady Salvation Ball featuring the Pimps of Joytime on Saturday, February 17, 2018 at the Eldo in Crested Butte. The Pimps of Joytime will bring the funk as we dance and come together to celebrate 41 years of keeping Red Lady mine-free. Additionally, the renowned Red Lady Ramblers will start off the evening during the happy hour featuring complimentary appetizers and cocktail specials. Tickets are $45 and include a 1-year HCCA membership. There will also be a silent auction, the legendary raffle and the 41st Red Lady coronation. Visit www.hccacb.org/events/red-lady-ball to get your tickets today!"


No comments:

Post a Comment