Tuesday, July 3, 2018

Independent study on low moisture levels and fire

This summer I am doing an independent study in my hometown of Colorado Springs. The research that I am conducting this summer is on our low moisture levels contributing to the Waldo Canyon Fire that happened in the summer of 2012 and Black Forest Fire happening in the summer of 2013. When I was doing my research in the beginning I found out that in the winters of 2012 and 2013 Colorado Springs did not receive a lot of snow. Then in June the temperatures were hotter and the hotter the temperature the dryer the land was during the time when both fires started. While I was conducting interviews and looking at sources I started to form a hypothesis that when the Hayman fire started the Springs was dry and in June we were pushing 90s, then in 2012 the springs was dry and the temperature in Junes was in the 90s. The same thing happened in 2013 when Black Forest started there was not a lot of moisture the temperatures were in the in 90s again. This summer the pattern is the same, because we had a very dry winter and not a lot of rain in the springtime. The temperature in June was in the 90s and high 90s and now there are multiple fires in the state. I have interviewed three people and will interview two or three more people. The people interviewed so far shared there experience what is like during the time of the fire when they had to evacuate. I interviewed one from the Waldo Canyon Fire and the other two people I interviewed were from the Black Forest Fire. They all shared what their thoughts were when the Waldo Canyon Fire and Black Forest Fire happened. The years when Colorado Springs had received a lot of snow in the winters the land was as dry and there was not as many red flag warnings.

No comments:

Post a Comment