Wednesday, April 25, 2018

WMP Meeting Success!

    Last Thursday was the Watershed Management Planning Meeting Event. Everything came together: the volunteers, the speakers, and the attendees. The presentations were solid, the questions asked and answers given were great and informative, and I think I did a good job of mediating the meeting. Once the meeting started, I knew it was going to go well, but I was nervous about representing all views on this issue. Water issues can get pretty heated and I didn't want to push anyone away from this conversation by saying something wrong. I tried to make my questions very general in order to prevent this from happening and not show an agreeing viewpoint while asking questions because I wanted to be neutral. The panel questions turned out to be really great and even stirred up conversation from the audience. Overall, it was a success!
    I know it may seem like I'm going way out of my way in order to stay neutral, but in our current political climate I think this is so important. Instead of letting my generation become as polarized as generations before us have become, I want to spread this idea of coming at an issue as neutral. This doesn't mean that you can't take a side on an issue; taking sides are how discussion and conversations are successful because there are differing viewpoints to keep the conversation going. In order to have a productive future when it comes to the effects of climate change or the future of our watershed, we need to have an open mind when going after solving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment